2011 Vendy Cup Finalists Just Announced
We’re less than a week away from New York’s biggest street food event of the year, and the last piece of the puzzle is finally in place! Vendy Award Dessert finalists, Rookie finalists, and the New Jersey participants were all announced over the past few weeks, and earlier this morning NYT’s City Room blog posted the finalists for the ultimate prize- the 2011 Vendy Cup. And they are…
- The Eggstravaganza Cart – Mexican & American cart on 52nd & Park that specializes in mexican wraps and egg sandwiches.
- Chimichury El Malecon – Inwood vendor that has been selling Dominican hamburgers known as “chimis” for 25 years
- Souvlaki GR – Last year’s Rookie winner, this truck serves up Greek pita sandwiches downtown
- Tamales Guadalupe – Brooklyn tamale vendor
- Trini Paki Boys Halal Food – A Midtown Lunchmainstay, this cart has been parked on 43rd and 6th serving up street meat with an island twist for over 20 years
- Sam’s Falafel – A FiDi lunch legend, this was one of the first carts we covered on the Downtown section of Midtown Lunch
- Solber Pupusas – Now a 2 time Vendy Award finalists, this pupusa truck was nominated back in 2008 when it was known as Soler Dominican
We can’t help but feel especially excited for the Trini Paki Boys Cart, Eggstravaganza, and Sam’s Falafel, but a huge congrats to all the deserving finalists! This is going to be a great year, and a super tough decision for the judges. You’ll be able to read more about all the finalists on the Vendy Awards website, and while General Admission tickets are completely sold out there are a limited number of early admission and VIP tickets available (as well as sponsorship packages, which come with tickets.) The awards take place this Saturday, on Governor’s Island from 12:30-5pm.