- If pictures could clog an artery, this Thrillist list of fried chicken around the city would kill you [Thrillist]
- And adding to that list, Federal Donuts is opening its University City location (34th and Sansom) on Monday with flavors like pad thai and sweet soy and garlic
- Zagat reminds us that Khyber Pass is a perfect spot for a lunchtime change of scene with their solid rotating beer list and po boy varieties [Zagat]
- Art proclaims Spot Burger food cart as having one of the best cheesesteaks in town [Foobooz]
- Penn Appetit reports that Don Memo is still king of street tacos [Penn Appetit]
- I LOVE a well detailed food crawl, it means less ground work for the rest of us. This 5 hour pizza crawl picked Pizzeria Vetri, Bufad, and Art of Pizza as the best of the day [EatDrinkandRun]
Unfortunately, I have been less than impressed with the crepe places here in Philly, see: here and here. They tend to be overpriced and underwhelming. Have you had the same experience? But when I read the menu for Global Crepes and Local Shakes, which opened in the Italian market earlier this winter, I was slightly hopeful. Inside, the cafe has a super zen setting, complete with relaxing music and cute lamps.
Last summer, Indeblue opened on the 13th street previously occupied by the Korean restaurant, Pastoral, I wanted to love but didn’t. Lunch service soon followed; it consists of a slew of familiar and modernized small Indian bites and a few larger entrees. In a city where there are several under $10 Indian buffets, how should we feel about a place where one small plate costs as much as all the Indian food you can eat? I had been curious about the menu and had to take Indeblue up on their offer to have me in to try their lunch.
Photo courtesy of Penn Appetit
- Duck ragout is the lunch time winner at a. kitchen [Penn Appetit]
- A Texas bbq spot opened on South Street last week. Have you tried it yet? [Zagat]
- Some superior human consumed 20 Jim’s cheesesteaks in an hour, a new record [Foobooz]
- Though its a while from now, folks are already getting exciting about Elmi on schedule April 7th at the Garage’s indoor food truck [Eater]
Last week I was traveling in China; seeing the sites and eating the eats. Snacking all day long at little local spots was the main reason, despite MANY stressful moments, that we were glad we did not go with a tour group. Here are some highlights:
Photo Courtesy of Paperless Post via Huffington Post
- Food related Valentines Cards are the best [Huffington Post]
- Noir on E Passyunk is beginning lunch service
- Thrillist compares fast food fried chicken so you don’t have to settle for an uncrunchy genetically modified thigh [Thrillist]
- Penn Appetit loves the kebabs and naan at the UCity Kabobeesh [Penn Appetit]
- While my shabu shabu experience was a little boring this week, 22nd and Philly got their mouths blasted by Sakura’s hot pot [22nd & Philly]
- Zagat has a list of last minute V-Day deals around Philly [Zagat]
- Foobooz compiled some Yelp check in offers in town for free things. I have definitely taken advantage of the free cookie at Talula’s Daily [Foobooz]
Midtown Lunch Philly will be on hiatus next week while I am traveling in… CHINA! I will be stopping in Beijing, Xi’an, and Shanghai. Follow me on twitter, because I will be posting lots of pictures of my meals.
Before I leave, who has China suggestions for me??
And if you want to pretend like you are eating with me, all of my Chinese lunches in Philly can be found here.