Midtown Lunch Sandwich Challenge: State of the Union
So, we’re a month and a half into the Midtown Lunch Sandwich Challenge, and I thought it would be a good time to give a quick update on where we are. Most of the sandwiches being offered, which are all listed on the bottom of the Sandwich Challenge page, are still around… but there have been a few changes:
- I stopped by the Sophie’s Cuban on 3rd Avenue (btw. 49+50th, in the Crystal Pavillion Food Court) and they are no longer advertising the sandwich, but will make it for you if you ask for it. They plan on adding it to the permanent menu in the near future.
- FreeFoods NYC’s Duck Pastrami Reuben was supposed to just be for the month of February but it’s been so popular they’ve extended it indefinitely. Also, you guys inspired them to recreate their “sandwich area with some meatier options, for example, (Barbecued Pork, Smoked Tomato, Pickled Lime, Chipotle Cilantro Dressing).” Nicely done Midtown Lunchers.
- Certe retired its Feb sandwich (the Thanksgiving Dip) and introduced a March sandwich called “The Bayou”. A review of that is coming tomorrow… and the Thanksgiving Dip is still available on Thursdays as a special.
- As far as I know El Rey Del Sabor, Lazzara’s, 100% Halal and Healthy, Jamaican Dutchy, Biryani Cart, and Naples 45 are still going strong.
- The only place that has completely removed their sandwich is Cucina & Co. in the building on 45th btw. Mad+Park. Their “brisket wrap” was pretty good, but it’s no big loss…
The big question remains… where will the next big sandwich come from? Well, there are a few in the works… including something called “The Taj” from Crisp, a chicken surprise from Boi Sandwich, a hero involving garlic bread from the Papa Perrone Truck, and maybe even a special sandwich from Nino’s.
Also, I’m hearing that the recently opened, out of bounds, Manchester Pub (on 2nd Ave. btw. 48+49th) is serving a “Midtown Lunch Special” of their own: pork tenderloin sandwich with carmelized apples and battered onions. Hello! I might have to trek the extra avenue east to check that out. Anybody been to this place?
So there you have it. The ML Sandwich Challenge continues on… got a favorite sandwich place you think should be participating? Feel free to print out the original post, and convince them to enter. As far as I’m concerned, there can never be enough of these sandwiches…