Bulgogi Cart Makes TONY’s Cheap Eats Issue!?!?
The Bulgogi Cart on 49th btw. 6+7th Ave. popped up in Time Out New York’s Cheap Eats Issue yesterday, in what can only be referred to as a huge surprise. Now, I know I’ve written about this cart a ton, and I want to love it, I really do, but it’s just not that great. It’s gotten better, and I’m sort of into their kalbi & japchae- but overall, to put it in a Street Food category with the likes of Otafuku & the Red Hook Ballfields is a huge stretch. I wouldn’t travel too far out of my way for this one. It’s not even the best cart serving Bulgogi in Midtown, which I think is probably Kim’s Aunt Kitchen Cart. But NY Magazine already wrote about that one, and I’m guessing the editors at TONY were looking for something new. In the end, crap like this makes me call into question all the other places in the issue. Here are some of the other Midtown spots they mentioned:
- Bread & Olive (45th btw. 5+6th) - Your standard Middle Eastern Fare from Lebanon. TONY recommends the Stuffed Grape Leaves.
- Go Go Curry (38th btw. 7+8th) – Japanese spot with four kinds of curry over rice. TONY recommends… the curry!
- AQ Cafe (Park Ave. & 38th) – This Aquavit owned Scandanavian cafe is pretty awesome. I ate there a few weeks ago, and plan on writing about it soon. TONY recommends the Smorgasbord.
- Grand Central Oyster Bar (42nd & Park, Grand Central) – TONY puts this one (along with the AQ Cafe in a “Gourmet” category, and suggests you order the Oyster Pan Roast for $9.95.
And that’s it. For cheap desserts they recommended these 3, available in Midtown:
- Treats Truck – Ah yes. We are all too familiar with the amazing Treats Truck. They have been at 38th & 5th on Weds or Thurs. for the past few weeks, and
will be there again today(because of the steam explosion they will not be at that location today). Check www.treatstruck.com for locations.
- Landmarc (Time Warner Center, Columbus Circle) – The Cotton Candy. Free for kids, $3 for adults. According to TONY they have different flavors every day, including Pink Vanilla, Cherry, grape, lime & tangerine.
- Prime Burger (51st btw. 5th+Madison) – The Coconut Layer Cake. Now that sounds interesting…
A few more reommendations slightly out of bounds for Midtown Lunch’ing, but sound like they may be worth the walk. After the jump…
- Tehuitzingo Deli (10th Ave. btw. 47+48th) – This Mexican Grocery is right around the corner from my apt., and pretty amazing. TONY recommends the Carnitas Taco & the Beef Taco, and I concur.
- Tiffin Wallah (28th & Lexington) – $6 Indian Buffet. Do you need to know anything more? I never wanted to work on Lexington in the 30s more than right now.