An Open Letter To ABC: Here Are Some Story Ideas For Your New Food Truck Sitcom
According to Variety via Eater, ABC and a couple of King of the Hill vets are reportedly developing a sitcom about a family run food truck starring stand up comedian Al Madrigal. This immediately got me thinking of how many amazingly hilarious story lines you could come up with centered around a family run food truck! Here are a few of my favorites:
- On their first day of business in their new spot, a crazy lady who runs a rival food truck can jump on top of the bumper of the food truck to keep it from opening. A passerby films it, posts it on You Tube, and the crazy lady gets her own spinoff show.
- Baja Fresh decides they want to buy the family food truck. When the family says no, they steal the idea anyway and run with it.
- The brother decides he doesn’t want to work for the family business anymore, and opens a rival food truck right next door. Posts hilarious trash talking signs telling people how much better his food is.
- Crazy father in law decides he wants to get into the business too. Starts rival food truck across the street, creating gut busting marital problems for him and his wife. Will they have to go to counseling? You’ll have to watch and see! (Kelsey Grammar guest stars..?)
- The family decides they want to sell ice cream on the truck in the summertime. They get a late night visit from the head of an ice cream truck owning “family” who discourages them from branching out into ice cream by making him an offer he can’t refuse.
And let’s not forget about the potential product placement money!
- Every week a new brand could approach the food truck and offer money to plaster their truck with ads. The family could make snarky jokes about how they’re not sellouts, but then take the money anyway. Think of how meta that would be!
- Renegade cop spends all his time trying to find hilarious ways to put the family run truck out of business! (this could be a recurring character… Lieutenant Newman, perhaps?)
- The Mayor of the City where the food truck parks could simultaneously say he loves food trucks, while having one of his City Council lackeys try to put a law through that bans all food trucks.
- Family travels to Hawaii, where they mount the truck on a surfboard and attempt to jump the whole business over a giant shark
You just can’t make this shit up! ABC, if you’re interested in hiring me as a consultant (and quite frankly, how could you not be interested?) feel free to contact my television agent. Oh, wait. I don’t have an agent. Nevermind.