Guide to Fashion Week Eats for Workers & Lurkers
Who says a short fat Jewish guy who refuses to spend more than $10 on lunch every day (except in extreme all you can eat buffet circumstances) can’t have anything to do with Fashion Week? With shows in full swing at Bryant Park, Madewell (a new’ish chain of stores from the owners of J Crew) asked me for a list of places to grab some eats between shows, for a flier they’ve been handing out all week underneath the tent. Apparently those people do in fact eat. Who knew?
If you’re going to be at one of the Fashion Week events, you shouldn’t have any problem snagging one of the fliers… but if you’re a Bryant Park stalker, hoping to run into your future wife during your lunch break, your access may be limited (also, you should know you have no chance with those women. Their shoes cost more than your weekly salary).
For those dudes, here’s a map, and list of the suggestions appearing in the flier, after the jump…
2. Halal & Seafood Cart (NW Corner of 39th & 5th) – I know fish is less fattening, so maybe you’ll have a better chance at this cart… although the shrimp they serve are fried.
3. Starwich (38th St. btw. 5+6th) – I’m guessing ‘wichcraft in Bryant Park will be mob scene, so head over to the original, overpriced fancy Midtown sandwich place, only a few blocks away.
4. Fashion Soup (41st btw. 6+7th) – I’m still convinced this place was named to attract people from Fashion Week twice a year- because there is nothing fashionable about it. They do, however, make damn good soups.
5. Kati Roll (38th btw. 5+6th) – Their new location means Indian Burritos are now only 2 blocks away from Bryant Park, instead of 4. That’s two less blocks you’ll have to walk in your heels.
6. Cafe Zaiya (Two Locations) - If the crazy location on 41st btw. Mad+5th is too much, there is now the new cafe on the 2nd floor of the Kinokuniya Bookstore on 6th Ave., right across the street from Bryant Park.
7. Chiyoda Sushi (41st btw. Madison+5th) – In all seriousness, this is probably the best recommendation. More stylish than Cafe Zaiya and models love sushi, right?