New Orleans Weekend Wrap Up and Midtown Links
I’m never going to eat again. There are four reasons for this.
- Two full days of eating at Jazzfest. You can see the live photo-blogged pictures of the Crabmeat Po’boy, Daquiri & Gospel, Crawfish Monica, Patton’s Catering Combo, Cafe Au Lait, & Crawfish Bread. And that was just from Friday. On Saturday, there was the beignets from Cafe du Monde (seen above), Soft Shelled Crawfish Po-Boy, a fried shrimp po-boy, shrimp bread, and two mango freezes.
- An out of this world dinner at Cochon, the new’ish restaurant from Donald Link, of Herbsaint fame. This place is the real deal, and should win the James Beard award for Best New Restaurant (even though I love NYC Nominees A Voce & Momofuku Ssam Bar). I only wish the lighting had been better so I could have taken pictures of the food. Highlights include: spicy pork ribs with watermelon pickle, wood fired oysters, fried gator with chili garlic aioli, smoked ham hocks with grits and brown gravy, and of course, the signature Louisiana Cochon (roast pork).
- Two dozen raw oysters (half at Felix’s in the French Quarter on Friday night, and half at Acme Oyster House in the airport right before I boarded my plane home).
- And finally, lunch at Panda Express in the Houston Airport during my layover. It’s been awhile since I enjoyed their orange chicken and delcious noodles, so I was pretty excited. Have I mentioned we need a Panda Express in Midtown?
Needless to say it was an amazing weekend… oh, and I saw a little music too. It also means, I didn’t post any Midtown Links at the end of last week. So, while I recover- here’s some Midtown stuff for you to enjoy from last week:
- The first look at Insiemme, the new Midtown restaurant from Marco Canora of Hearth [Off the Broiler]
- For something a little cheaper, he also hits up the Times Square Yoshinoya [Off the Broiler]
- Camera in the Kitchen at Lanmarc Time Warner Center [Gothamist]
- An expensive lunch at the Modern Bar Room [Wandering Eater]
- Saying goodbye to a co-worker. Where should you take them to lunch? [Chowhound]
- Somebody on Chowhound discovers the Jamaican Dutchy food cart [Chowhound]