The Pot Roast Sandwich @ Cosi (and my love of “Limited Time Only” fast food)
I don’t often eat at (or write about) generic fast food chains, but every once in awhile something will catch my eye, and I just can’t resist. This blog was practically launched on my reporting about the craziness surrounding the opening of Chipotle in my building. I also wrote about the one Europa Cafe with a burrito bar, the new oil at KFC, and that weird Wasabi Salmon Bagel thing at Au Bon Pain. This particular item highlights my weakness for those fast food “Limited Time Only” menu items.
I think it started back in Junior High when Burger King introduced the first and original Bullseye BBQ Burger. Man, that thing was awesome. It seems commonplace now, but doing that cross promotion thing with Bullseye was total genius (I’m pretty sure I forced my mom to buy that sauce for years afterwards). I remember seeing it on the menu and ordering it for the first time. Two bacon cheeseburgers, side by side- covered in Bullseye BBQ sauce. How could it be bad? And then one day it was gone. Oh boy was I pissed. And yet- even now, all these years later I forget that anger, and get suckered in once again; falling in love with these crazy menu items that disappear without warning, leaving you wanting just one more taste… (Has anybody had that fried chicken finger wrapped in a tortilla that McDonald’s has? I really want to try it but I know my wife won’t ever let me live it down)
Enter Cosi. I was walking by Cosi the other day and noticed a sign in their window for two new sandwiches. I’ve written about Cosi before. I know I rail against paying $8 for a sandwich, but for some reason Cosi is the one place I’m willing to do it (I’m pretty sure it’s the bread. They must put crack in it.) So when I saw their new Pot Roast Nuevo Sandwich in the window, I was like “I like pot roast!”, and it’s freezing cold. What better way to enjoy pot roast then in delicious “Only for a Limited Time” sandwich form.
The picture of the sandwich, and the +/- after the jump…
The cool thing about the new Pot Roast sandwich is that it’s not just Pot Roast. They top it with Jicama, Green Apple, Red Onion, and a chili salsa. The pot roast was super tender, and the apple & jicama added a crunchy sweetness that took the thing to another level. The first half went down without a problem, but it started to get a little messy during the second half, as the juices ate through the bread. All in all it was pretty delicious, and perfect for a super cold day (like today!).
They also have a five cheese melt that looked pretty good. Brie, provolone, cheddar, Swiss, and parmesan with an orange marmalade. I’m a big fan of the cheese with jelly idea, so it sounds pretty awesome to me (I haven’t tried it yet). Hopefully I’ll make it back before it disappears…
- Cosi’s bread is awesome, there is no denying it (and they give you free samples while you wait on line)
- The jicama and green apple on the pot roast add that little extra something that made the sandwich worth getting
- It’s still a fast food chain…
- And it’s $8 for a sandwich (It still stings every time I eat there)
- You don’t like sweetness (the apple and jicama) with your savory (the pot roast)
- You don’t like green onions
- Like all fast food, it doesn’t look as good as the picture that draws you into the place… (but it still tastes damn good)
Cosi, Multiple Locations in Midtown
- 61 W. 48th. St. (btw. 5+6th)
- 11 W. 42nd St. btw. 5th & 6th Ave.
- 60 E. 56th St. btw. Madison & Park Ave.
- 38 E. 45th St. btw. Madison & Vanderbilt
- 685 Third Ave. on 44th St.
- 498 7th Ave. btw. 36+37th St.
- 1633 Broadway btw. 50+51st. St.
Posted by Zach Brooks at 9:38 am, January 25th, 2007 under *3rd Ave. btw 43+45th, *7th Ave. btw. 36+37th, *B'way btw. 50+51st, 42nd btw 5+6th, 45th btw. Mad+Van, 48th btw 5+6th, 56th btw. Mad+Park, Sandwiches.
17 Comments |