Midtown Happy Hour: Peter Dillon’s Second Location Has The Same Great Specials
If you like to eat, chances are you like to drink (read: a lot of you are freakin’ lushes), so I thought maybe it was time to introduce a happy hour column to the site. Every week, our Happy Hour Correspondent posts about a different bar in Midtown that fits the Midtown Lunch mentality: unhealthy food, not lame (unless it’s lame in a cool way), and most importantly… cheap.
There’s a new Peter Dillon’s in town with the same great happy hour specials. Much like the original location on 40th between Park & Lex, Peter Dillons 2 (36th between 5th and Madison) offers some of the best specials around with $4 (16 oz) pints of Bud, Bud Light, Blue Moon, and Stella and $4 shots of Jameson, Jager, and Cuervo from 4-7 pm. This cozy pub just opened a few months ago in a former Vitamin Shoppe.
Peter Dillons 2 doesn’t serve food, but instead they have a BYOF (bring your own food) policy, so you can dig into your leftovers from lunch or order from anywhere and have it delivered. Their beer is served nice and cold — check out the frost on that mug!
The space is quaint for a sports pub, with seating at the bar and along the walls, and a large column in the middle with seating around it as well. Even with its rustic feel, the Peter Dillon’s 2 provides both regular and USB outlets for phone and laptop charging.
We went on a rainy day early in the week, and we weren’t expecting many out, but the place filled up gradually. And we had a really good time. Both the bartenders who served us were fun and friendly, and the buy back seems to be standard practice. And talk about a frosty mug! Very nice. With St. Patrick’s Day coming up soon, the staff were preparing for a massive onslaught of partiers over the weekend. It’s true; with the addition of Peter Dillon’s 2, next Slattery’s, Galway Pub, and the Ginger Man already on 36th street, it seems we now have a proper strip for a nice pub crawl.
So, whether you’re stopping in for several or you’re hopping from bar to bar, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the prices or the atmosphere, as long as you like the Irish pub feel.
The + (what somebody who likes this place would say)
- The Happy Hour has some nice shots and beers for $4!
- I love trying out newly opened bars since I’ve been to every other bar in the city.
- I normally drink my dinner, so it’s fine that there’s no food served here.
- I am connected 100% of the time, and I appreciate the attention to my recharging needs.
- I only go to places with friendly staff, and Peter Dillon’s 2 definitely has that going for it!
The – (what somebody who doesn’t like this place would say)
- It’s too new. I’m going to give it a while to get established.
- They don’t serve food, and since I’m such a fatty I need a constant stream of food in mah belly.
- It’s an Irish pub and they’re just not my thing.
Peter Dillon’s, 2 East 36th St. (btw Mad+5th) 212-300-4091