Street Meat Palooza 4 Nominations Are Now Open
You didn’t think we forgot about Street Meat Palooza, did you? Now that the dust has finally settled on Midtown Lunch’s 5th Anniversary, it’s time to crown Midtown’s best street meat. Every year we bring together a hand picked group of lunchers to taste 15 different plates of street meat, and crown a winner. Three years ago the Famous Halal Guys won the inaugural palooza, but the next two years belonged to Kwik Meal and Kwik Gourmet. All three have been retired from competition, and this year 15 new carts will vie for the chance to be crowned the winner of Street Meat Palooza 4!
Just like previous years, Street Meat Palooza will not be open to the public. It is an invite only, blind tasting of 15 different plates of street meat. But there is a way for you to win a coveted slot at the “judges” table.
Want a chance to attend? All you have to do is nominate your favorite street meat cart in the comments and you’re registered to score a slot at Street Meat Palooza 4. But there are a few rules so please read them closely:
1. Street meat = chicken and lamb over rice with white sauce and hot sauce. Not jerk chicken. Not biriyani. Not schnitzel. Not tikka masala. It doesn’t have to necessarily be “halal” but it does have to be chicken and/or lamb over rice with white sauce and hot sauce. It’s also worth noting, the carts won’t know they’re competing. The plates of street meat will be ordered on a regular day during lunchtime, each by a different Midtown Luncher.
2. Participating in previous years doesn’t exclude a cart or truck from being nominated for SMP 3, but winning does. So Kwik Meal (on 45th and 6th), Kwik Gourmet (on 47th & Park), and the Famous Halal Guys cart (on the SE Corner of 53rd and 6th) will be ineligible to compete this year. But their other carts are eligible… so the Famous Halal Guys cart on 52nd and 6th is still eligible.
3. Limit one comment per person, but feel free to nominate as many vendors as you wish in that one comment. The more votes a cart gets, the more likely it will be chosen to participate. Carts must be located within the Midtown Lunch’ing boundaries… that’s 8th Ave. to the West, 3rd Ave. to the East, Central Park to the North, and 32nd to the South.
4. If you are chosen to attend the event, you may be asked to bring the food from the cart that you nominated. (We’ll pay you back, of course!)
5. Nominations will close on Wednesday (9/14) at 6pm EST and the invites will be sent out a few days later. The judging will take place sometime in September, from noon to 1:30pm at a central location in Midtown that will only be revealed to the participants.
Street-Meat-Palooza: A 13 Cart Chicken/Lamb Over Rice Showdown
Street Meat Palooza 2: Our New York City Chicken/Lamb Over Rice Showdown Crowns A New Champion
Street Meat Palooza 3: Crowning The Best Chicken And Lamb Over Rice Cart in Midtown