Curry Dream Indian Buffet
Ever since the $8.99 Rangole Indian Buffet closed, I’ve been searching for a replacement in Midtown. Sure, I could spend $12.95 and up for a fancy Indian Buffet (there are plenty of them)- but I really wanted to find something under $10. Sukhadia, the vegetarian Indian buffet is really good, but it’s $10.95, and there’s no meat- so it doesn’t really qualify as a full fledged replacement. When I posted about that place, a few people recommended Curry Dream.
Curry Dream is a middle of the road Indian restaurant on 39th btw. 5th & 6th with a lunchtime buffet that costs $9.95. (Anything under $10 is very exciting to me!!!) Overall the food was better than Rangole (not too difficult), and for the price it is easily the best Indian buffet deal in Midtown.
What’s on the buffet, pictures and a +/- after the jump…
Here’s what my first plate looked like:
All the standards were there…
Tandoori Chicken & Chicken Tikka Masala
Saag Paneer (Spinach w/ Cubes of Cheese)
For a second I thought we were getting Indian fried chicken… but it was just Pakuras w/ a Chick Pea salad
The tandoori chicken was pretty standard, and the Chicken Tikka Masala was good, and not as watery tasting as a lot of cheap Indian buffets. The Saag Paneer was also better than average, and the chickpea salad inside the pakoras was really good (better than the Chana Masala/Chickpea curry they had). The pakoras were good if you got a fresh one (some of them were duds), and the Goat Curry was fall off the bone tender- which means that you needed to scoop from the bottom of the pan to get the good meat. If you just take from the top, you get mostly bones (I discovered that the hard way).
All in all Curry Dream is a great find if you like buffets, but don’t want to spend more than $10 (and it’s better than Rangole used to be). I’ve only been once so I’m not sure if they change up the dishes every day. Sure there are better Indian Buffets in Midtown (Utsav, Bombay Palace, etc.) but they all cost over $13.00- too much to spend, even for a buffet addict like me.
THE + (what people who like this place would say)
- I love buffets
- I love buffets that are under $10
- It’s better than Rangole used to be
- It’s got all the standards (Tandoori Chicken, Chicken Tikka Masala, Saag Paneer, Kheer/Rice Pudding)
- A ton of great sauces to choose from (Raita, Tamarind Sauce, Chutney, etc)
THE – (what people who don’t like this place would say)
- Buffets aren’t really my thing.
- I don’t like sacrificing quality for quantity
- I can get a better meal for cheaper at a place like Minar, or Hurry & Tasty Curry
- I’d rather spend an extra few bucks and eat at an Indian buffet with better quality food
- Naan isn’t on the buffet. They bring you a basket at the beginning of your meal, and then you have to ask for more (I love naan and like to have access to it at all times during my buffet experience!!!)
Curry Dream, 66 West 39th St. (btw. 5+6th), 212-810-4125