7 Reasons to Hate L.A. (Lunching, That Is)
I try to be positive here on Midtown Lunch… and I freakin’ love this city. The food is amazing, and there’s no better place to be a “Midtown Lunch’er”. But as much as I love much of the food in L.A. (and will defend it to the death against any outsiders, ornatives with an inferiority complex) there are some things about lunching in this town that really annoy me. Here are 7 of them, LAist style, for your enjoyment…
1. Alright Mendocino Farms… we gave you a bit of leeway when you called your admittedly delicious pork belly sandwich a banh mi. But a cuban sandwich should probably not be on the same bread as your shrimp po’boy, or at the very least it should be pressed. You have a panini press, use it. That being said, adding plantain chips on top of the sandwich is genius. Oh, we can’t stay at mad you Mendocino Farms!
2. Prediction: When the Los Angeles branch of Eataly finally opens, bloggers who get to eat there for free will love it. Those who have to pay will be slightly less enthusiastic.
3. Is it just me or should there be rules against putting the words “Secret Thai Cuisine” on a gigantic sign on Hollywood Blvd?
4. Riddle me this anorexic, health conscious, foryo loving Angelenos. You won’t eat a fried doughnut, but you’ll eat a baked doughnut topped with ice cream?
5. Are proper al pastor spits owned and operated exclusively by vampires? Why can’t one of these great street food stands be open during lunch!?
6. You would think a terrific ramen place, which managed to expand their business from Torrance to Culver City would have no trouble replicating the magic a few miles north on Westwood Blvd. And yet…
7. Finally, why didn’t the L.A. Vendy Awards sell out immediately? Forget everything you know about shit show Los Angeles food truck festivals. Anybody who attended the first L.A. Vendy Awards knows that this event is completely different, not just because it is put on by a non-profit group that advocates for street vendors and all proceeds go to benefit L.A. City Farm but also because… actually, wait… that’s exactly why it’s completely different. What are you waiting for? Buy your tickets now!