7 Reasons to Hate L.A. Lunching (The “Be Careful What You Call a Food Court” Edition)
I try to be positive here on Midtown Lunch… and I freakin’ love this city. The food is amazing, and there’s no better place to be a “Midtown Lunch’er”. But as much as I love much of the food in L.A. (and will defend it to the death against any outsiders, ornatives with an inferiority complex) there are some things about lunching in this town that really annoy me. Here are 7 of them, LAist style, for your enjoyment…
1. Man, I really wish Momed was cheaper. Duck shawarma sandwich? Sooooo good! Why can’t you be $10 little friend?
2. Why does anybody bother serving pastrami sandwiches within a 5 mile radius of Langer’s? Especially one that costs $14 and looks like this. Really, what’s the point? Also, in a related story: dividing your menu into 3 sections and having cute little open prep stations doesn’t make you a food court. You’re just a regular old restaurant with waiters, and a menu that happens to feature good burgers, hipster deli food, and meat curated by a kick ass chef from San Francisco. Please tell the press to stop describing you as a mini version of Eataly West.
3. What’s the point of having all you can eat Korean BBQ and all you can eat Brazilian BBQ under one roof if you can’t get both in one sitting!? You could have been a contender, Tahoe.
4. It makes me super pissed to admit this, but the grilled stuff at Fisherman’s Outlet might be better than the fried stuff. (Especially because the grilled stuff is more expensive!)
5. You know what’s the biggest problem with L.A. burritos? Refried beans. Don’t get me wrong, there’s a time and place for a disgustingly delicious refried beans filled carnitas burrito eaten off a truck (the time is 2:15am, the place: drunktown.) But my lunchtime, mission style burrito in Los Angeles quest continues.
6. Fries laid on top of lomo saltado!? It’s bad enough you’re using frozen crinkle cut fries, the least you could do is saute those bad boys into the dish. Is it seriously that tough for Mario’s to open a branch on the Westside. Come on now!
7. I’m sorry, but this should not exist.
Got anything lunch related you’d like to gripe about? Feel free to post it in the comments… And click here to see all past lists of “Reasons to Hate L.A.”