7 Reasons to Hate L.A. (Lunch’ing That Is)
I try to be positive here on Midtown Lunch… and I freakin’ love this city. The food is amazing, and there’s no better place to be a “Midtown Lunch’er”. But as much as I love most of the food in L.A. (and will defend it to the death against any outsiders, or natives with an inferiority complex) there are some things about lunching in this town that really annoy me. Here are 7 of them, LAist style, for your enjoyment…
Sauteed Blood Sausage ($19) from Jang Tou Bossam
1. Why doesn’t anybody serve a version of soondae bookum that serves one and is under $10? I’m fat, but not that fat.
2. Squash blossom tempura stuffed with spicy tuna and drizzled with honey sounds like it would be awesome, right? It’s not.
3. It shouldn’t take 6 months to open an all you can eat buffet! Fatsos like me are going to come whether its good or not. Just throw a bunch of shit into metal steamer trays, set up a couple of tables (or not) and we will come. Did you see the lunchtime crowd at that newish Chinese bufffet in Hollywood? It’s not rocket science. I’m hungry. Do it. Doooooo it.
Black wieners, banh mi, and more after the jump…
4. If I order something on your menu called “Black Pork Weiner” in mixed company while laughing hysterically, getting a plate of mini hot dogs that remind me of of the appetizers at my Bar Mitzvah is going to be a disappointment. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed putting your delicious wieners in my mouth. They were just… I don’t know how else to put this… disappointing.
5. All the best things from the Cart For a Cause truck should be turned into permanent lunchtime restaurants. Bacos are a good start. I’m still waiting for the fried chicken sandwich from Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo (Son of a Gun ain’t open for lunch guys!) And Starry Kitchen really needs to add Laurent Quenioux’s head cheese and blood sausage to their permanent menu.
6. If you serve freshly baked delicious Persian flatbread, why on earth would you wrap your koobideh sandwiches in boring, terrible lavash?
7. Why doesn’t every single banh mi shop should serve a version of their cold cut banh mi, topped with sweet grilled pork!? And pate. And butter. And charge $2.75. I might need to move to Alhambra.
Got anything you want to gripe about? Post it in the comments. And see all past lists of “Reasons to Hate L.A.”