PROFILE: Midtown Lunch’er “Denise”
Every Tuesday we turn over the site to a different Midtown Lunch’er for his or her recommendations for the best lunch in Midtown. This week we’ve decided to go down to the Flatiron, to give Clay some good ideas for his Friday posts. Meet Denise, a production person who loves Filipino food (provided it doesn’t have any bits of ear in it.)
Occupation: Director of Production, and blogger
Where in Midtown do you Work?: Flatiron District
Favorite Kind of Food: Depends on my mood, but mostly Belgian, Filipino, French bistro, Italian, and Malaysian.
Least Favorite Kind of Food: Sisig – just Google it. You’ll see why…
Favorite Place(s) to Eat Lunch in Midtown:
- Markt (on 6th btw. 21+22nd) – a Belgian restaurant in Chelsea. My favorite items off the menu: French Onion Soup, Croque Monsieur and Moules À La Provençale (mussels with tomato and fresh basil; with frites). Oh, and don’t forget to wash it down with some Belgian beer (bottled or on tap).
- Almond (22nd btw. B’way+5th) – Grilled Chicken Paillard or Streak Frites.
- Republic (in Union Square) – Grilled Pork Chops
- Grill 21 (on 21st btw. 1+2nd) – Pork Barbecue with garlic rice
- Financier Patisserie – Le Parisien (a sandwich made with Ham, Brie, Dijon Mustard)
“Go-To” Lunch Place You and Your Coworkers Eat at Too Often? Whole Foods and Pret a Manger
Place(s) you discovered thanks to Midtown Lunch? Beecher’s Handmade Cheese on 20th and Broadway, home to the “World’s Best” Mac & Cheese
If you could work anywhere (just because of the lunch) where would it be and why? Hawaii, because the food out there is awesome. Hawaii has so many spots for ono grindz (Hawaiian slang for good food), like Plate lunch (loco moco, kalbi, teri beef), poke (pronounced “po-keh”), spam musubi, ramen, mochi, shave ice. Phew…thank goodness I’m going there next month to satisfy my food cravings.
Anything you’d like to ask the Midtown Lunch readers? Are there any other good Filipino restaurants, besides Krystal’s Cafe 81 and Grill 21 in Manhattan (I know there’s a bunch in Queens and Jersey City).
Got an answer for Denise? Put it in the comments. And, as always, if you want to be next week’s Profiled: Midtown Lunch’er (or know somebody you’d like to nominate) email firstname.lastname@example.org.